- Scale: 1/32
- Length: 61.5″ (1560 millimetres)
- Beam: 5 inches (127 millimetres)
All prices exclude shipping and insurance. Contact us for a quote.
About this model
The world’s first Hunter Killer submarine, the ‘R Class’ had a 22-man crew (2 officers and 20 ratings) and was 163 feet long, by 16 ft (beam) and had a displacement of 420 tons. It had 6 x 18 inch torpedo tubes later replaced by 6 X 21 inch torpedoes tubes, an 8 cylinder engine with 480 HP and 2 electric motors (1200 HP) and could reach speeds of 9.5 knots on the surface and 15 submerged. The R class group of submarines were the fastest commissioned boats until the later days of WWII (1944) when the German Type 21 was commissioned – not bad for a small WWI Submarine! The submarine was first laid down by Vickers on the Tyne on December 1917, commissioned in 1918 and scrapped in 1929. Watch a video of our friend Steve Neil, reviewing and building an OTW Designs R-Class kit.
Included in the kit
- Detailed hull, deck and tower, all in glass fibre.
- Front and rear dive planes and guards.
- Drop skeg twin rudders, six brass bushes.
- All stainless steel pivot rods.
- 8 Kingston valves, tower hatch, tower floor and deck in brass.
- 3 tower vents, 2 periscope and wireless aerial bases in brass.
- All periscopes and wireless aerial, binnacle, anchor, Samson posts, bollards,
- aerial fittings for deck, scale 4-bladed propeller and shaft, all tower rails and fittings.
- A detailed plan.
All images are provided by our customers, unless stated otherwise. We try to credit the author, please let us know if we haven’t. Click on the thumbnails to see a full-sized image.
All prices quoted exclude shipping and insurance – contact us to discuss your requirements.
We try to attribute pictures to their authors where known but if you find one of your pictures on this site without any credit then please tell us and we will rectify the situation.
Website by Alex Connell, Copyright © 2011 – OTW Designs.